It was in the early 1930’s when Thomas ‘Tommy’ Moore became the proprietor, that Brannigans, then known as ‘The Moore House’ long love affair with the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) began. Thomas Moore, originally from Kilkenny, was a well renowned individual amongst GAA circles especially the world of hurling. A gifted hurler himself Tommy Moore went on to become Chairman of Faughs GAA Club on the southside of Dublin for over 40 years. He became a recipient of the Hall of Fame Award and the All-Ireland Senior Club Hurling Championship trophy, the Tommy Moore Cup, is now named in his honour. It became normal practice through the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s for the newly crowned champions of the Liam McCarthy Cup to make a whistle stop at Moores to quench their thirst before making the long journey home. Moore also allowed the pub to be used as a makeshift clubhouse for Faughs GAA club when they had nowhere else to go.
Tommy Moore sadly passed away suddenly in 1973 but the pub continued its strong association with sports and in particular the GAA when the McGeoghs became the owners and renamed the pub ‘The Goalpost’